Saturday, 12 May 2012

Riding the Gornergrat

Buna Saira Dear Reader,

In order to more fully experience the mountains around Zermatt, I took a trip on the Gornergrat Railway, which is a cog railway that goes up the Gornergrat mountain (3130m). The tourist area is 3089m above sea level and the Gornergrat has been visited by tourists to Switzerland for 111years.
As you can see from the huge icicles on the railway sign, the weather up the mountain was extremely cold and the snow was deeper than me! Apparently the hiking up here is wonderful...unfortunately the moderate risk of avalanche meant that I wasn't willing to risk it.
The view was absolutely stunning, with an amazing view of the Matterhorn and of the Monte Rosa Massif, which is an area of the Alps. It was also possible to see a number of glaciers, including the second-largest Alpine glacier, the Gornergletscher. I'm not sure exactly which mountains/glaciers are which now, so here are some pretty winter wonderland scenes:


No comments:

Post a Comment