Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Cross Country Travel

Guete Obig Dear Reader!

I am writing this from the beautiful country of Switzerland - stereotypically festooned with chocolate, cows and cheese. Despite living right on the border, I'm ashamed to say that I have not seen a lot of Switzerland, but I am currently visiting my parents in Zermatt in the south-west near the Italian border (i.e. the complete opposite end of the country!).

My journey between Konstanz and Zermatt lasted roughly 4-5 hours, which given that I was travelling most of a country, seems like a relatively speedy time to have achieved. Given the wonders of Swiss efficiency, though the price-tag not-so-much, I managed to make it through five of the 26 cantons: Thurgau, Zürich, Aargau, Bern and Valais (though people more knowledgeable about the rail system, feel free to correct me!). Despite it taking what seemed like forever, the scenery more than made up for it, particularly in the Bernese Oberland and on the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn.

I have attempted to get some photos from inside the train, but as always, window plus movement does not equal top quality photography...
Lake Thun, said to be one of the prettiest lakes in all of Switzerland (I'm not sure it really compares to the Bodensee, but I am a bit biased):
The Bernese Oberland - where basically all the classical views of Alpine scenery in Switzerland come from:
On the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn - most of this was a single track railway, which was clinging to the edge of a cliff between the mountains above and the valley below:
And in the interests of showing off more Swiss mountains, here are a few more I spotted along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment