Today I have discovered just how complicated the Bodensee area and the German language truly are. Despite all three bordering countries - Germany, Switzerland and Austria - speaking the same language, the difference in dialects (roughly five in total) is that little bit overwhelming, but I am slowly beginning to be able to differentiate between them all...
In a workshop today, I was faced with all five of these local dialects:
- Hochdeutsch - lit. High German - this is the standard German which all German-speaking children (including those in Switzerland and Austria) have to learn at school. It is formed from the written German and is also what I am attempting to communicate in!
- Schweizerdeutsch (Schwyzerdütsch) - Swiss German
- Österreichisches Deutsch - Austrian German
- Badisch - this dialect originates in the Baden area which covers Konstanz, and forms the Western side of the Bundesland of Baden-Württemberg.
- Schwäbisch - Swabian - this dialect comes from a region called Swabia, which covers a lot of Baden-Württemberg, including Stuttgart (the capital city of Baden-Württemberg).
No comments:
Post a Comment