Guten Morgen Dear Reader!
Yesterday, I attempted to learn to play Volleyball - a sport which appears to be taught in every country apart from the UK and Ireland. Suffice to say that my team with a Brit and an Irish, as well as being made up of 5 girls and only 1 boy, managed to successfully lose all 6 games out of a total of 6. However, we definitely had the best team spirit out there despite adversity!
Volleyball is relatively painful - the idea is to keep the ball in the air, by propelling it upwards using your palms and lower arms. Bare in mind that this ball is going at a rate of knots from the sky and everyone runs towards it with mad lust in their eyes, the sport becomes fairly scary quite quickly - especially for the more athletically and co-ordination-ly challenged, such as myself.
Yet, as the games continued, I feel I did improve. I very nearly managed to actually serve a ball over the net (it went in it, but quite high up - the first attempt almost hit someone on one of the neighbouring courts) and at one point actually managed to successfully hit the ball over the net itself in full play. Unfortunately my team were so busy being shocked that I had achieved something vaguely like sporting prowess, that we managed to forget that you have to keep the volley going!
Luckily I appear to have come out of the experience relatively unscathed - though my right hand is suffering from having tried to enthusiastically hit the ball single-handed! I'd like to try beach volleyball next in the sunshine, though probably without the skimpy outfit...
No comments:
Post a Comment