Apologies to you all - I have been very busy over the past few weeks and have only just managed to get time to update the blog, as I am currently too ill to study :(
Day Two of the Berlin adventure and we headed deeped into the former East Berlin area - I'm not sure we spent much time 'in the West' at all! We visited the East Side Gallery, which is one of the longest stretches of the original wall at 1.3km long. Following the fall of the wall, a number of international artists were invited to paint an open-air gallery in 1900. While I was expecting a large amount of highly political and profound murals, the reality is quite different. While some of the pictures are more reflective on the history behind the wall, others included pictures of superheroes and robots. Astonishing is the large amount of graffiti on the pictures themselves, which rather detracts away from the harsh reality of DDR/BRD separation.
Here are a few of my favourites/some of the well-known ones:
No comments:
Post a Comment