Over the last two days I have been discovering the joys of Glühwein (mulled wine) – the traditional drink of choice at German Weihnachtsmärkte (Christmas markets).
Last night, a few friends and I hopped on a bus to the first night of the Weihnachtsmarkt Am See Konstanz. Our first port of call down by the harbour? One of the many Glühwein stands to get our first taste of Advent. Having got our hands round wonderfully warm and beautifully decorated mugs, we then wandered along being tempted by the many different offers of food along the way. In the interest of my stomach and sampling German market food, I went for a Bratwurst covered in Senf (Mustard) served straight off the grill. Unfortunately we arrived too late to see all of the non-food stands, so I shall have to return back in the daytime.
Tonight, I went to a friend’s house with a few friends and, having managed to drink a bottle cheap Glühwein, we decided to try to make our own version. Using a red wine as our basis, we then added tangerines – both segments and peel – as well as Zimt (cinnamon) and cloves. It turned into more of an English mulled wine, which is less sweet than the Glühwein we were attempting to make but equally yummy. Apparently my limited knowledge of wine stretches to be able to mull a good brew…
No comments:
Post a Comment